When I was little, I used to joke about
digging a hole in the earth and ending up on the other side of the
world. I may as well have just entered a parallel universe via a hole in the earth after
24 hours of traveling and 12 hours of wandering around this city in
amazement. Night is day and day is night. All of a sudden, I am
the foreigner on spectacle, rather than being the American walking
past confused tourists blocking my path to class in Harvard Yard.
Water which I usually drink cold is served to me boiling hot.
I love Chengdu. The campus is gorgeous
and I doubt I will ever get over the wonder of it all. The north
gate (“bei men”) is straight out of a movie.
And one need not wander long to find dozens and dozens of delicious – and extremely cheap – restaurants. It helps that our accommodations are the standard of a hotel and that I have my American group to walk around with. Even so, I have spent the day adjusting to my new surroundings. It is just the right amount of adventure; I am not so shocked that I want to dig a hole right back where I came from, but shocked enough that I am being pushed to expand my comfort zone.
And one need not wander long to find dozens and dozens of delicious – and extremely cheap – restaurants. It helps that our accommodations are the standard of a hotel and that I have my American group to walk around with. Even so, I have spent the day adjusting to my new surroundings. It is just the right amount of adventure; I am not so shocked that I want to dig a hole right back where I came from, but shocked enough that I am being pushed to expand my comfort zone.
The culture shock began even before
arriving in China. On my flight to Chengdu, I arrived at the gate
and could instantly find the other students on my trip because we
were pretty much the only non Chinese people on the flight. I
wasn't able to communicate at all with the man next to me, and so he
elbowed me when he needed to get out of his seat. I also observed
quite a sight, literally termed “exercise gymnastics.” In the
middle of the flight, the lights suddenly switched on (I had been
sleeping) and the TV started playing what seemed to be an exercise
video. It consisted of a woman doing various stretches while
sitting down in her seat, including moving her head from side to side
and stretching out her arms. Almost everyone on the flight did the
stretches along with this video in their seats, in unison. I found
the whole thing a bit ridiculous, but maybe that's just because it's
unfamiliar. When I asked a Chinese student about this, he was
surprised that other flights DON'T
have exercise gymnastics! After all, you never move around on a
long flight and so it makes some sense to stretch. I guess it's a
matter of perspective.
The biggest shock is not speaking the
language. Everywhere that I've travelled in the past has been
touched enough by American/British culture so that I can get by with
English. Especially India. Since getting here, however, I've
found myself learning Mandarin phrases for a very practical reason –
I want to know how to order from a menu, how much to pay the cashier
(“jiu kuai”), and how to ask for directions. A few students in
our group speak Mandarin very well, but I also hope to get by without
them by the end of the program.
The other big shock is being on
spectacle. Basically everywhere we go, people stare at us. One
woman nearly crashed her bike because she was staring at me and my
friend as she drove past and couldn't stop. Apparently even in a
city of 20 million people, seeing a non ethnically Chinese person is
rare. And if seeing one is rare, than seeing multiple must be
an anomaly. I understand, woman on the bike: two ethnically Indian
looking girls in the middle of the sidewalk are about as rare as a
pair of dancing ballerinas.

Enjoy your time, Meena! We look forward to reading and learning from all your blog updates- xo, sushma auntie
ReplyDeleteThe whole exercising in unison thing is pretty ubiquitous in China! Schools in China typically have a daily period set aside for guided eye massages where every single student and teacher massages their eye sockets in unison to a recording played over the PA system.
ReplyDeleteNo way!!
ReplyDelete