I've been having too much fun to sit
down and write a blog post! Where to even start...
I think the best part of being in a new
place is the opportunity to do crazy things that you would never
do back home. Yesterday in Kung Fu class, we practiced Chinese
boxing. I had never tried boxing in my life and was at first
reluctant to try and punch the pad that my instructor was holding as
hard as I possibly could, both from the front and from the side.
But by the end of class, I was able to execute a basic sequence of
punches and kicks. Hai-ya! The other crazy thing that I did was
race around Chengdu on Sunday with my roommate and a couple of
amazing Chinese students. They had designed a scavenger hunt called
“Chengdu rush” in which we divided up into teams and had to
complete various tasks at various destinations around Chengdu
including People's Park, Chun Xi Lu (commercial district), the
Tibetan district, and other places. It took us five hours of racing
around the city by bus and on foot, but we finally completed it and
all went out to a traditional Sichuan family-style meal afterwards :)
The fact that Chinese students designed an entire scavenger hunt
and then ran around the city with us all day is a testament to how
hospitable people are here.
On Saturday, we went to the manor of
Liu Wencai, a former landlord in Sichuan province. The Communist
party preserved his house not because of its beauty, but as an
opportunity to show how evil he was. Needless to say, Mao's rise
wasn't a dandy time for landlords. One professor sang us an old
“red” song today which translated as something like “down with
the landlord, divide up the land” to the tune of “Frere Jacques.”
Propaganda abounded in Liu Wecai's house. There were pictures
and statues of the stereotypical scary, oppressive peasants and
starving, hardworking farmers.
Next, we headed to the
“anti-Japanese war” museum, which is what the China-Japanese
conflict around the time of World War II is called here. The
portrayal of the war was also extremely one-sided, with adjectives
like “brutally” and “violently” preceding pretty much every
instance of the word Japanese.
Another thing that I've been observing
here is the status of women. Communism advanced the rights of women
significantly, with the introduction of such things as the marriage
act in the 1950's, which basically allowed women to divorce their
husbands. 45 percent of engineering students here are female and
girls outscore boys in general on the Gaokao (national college
entrance exam), according to the former VP of Sichuan University.
Of course, just as in America, things are not equal. There is a
significant wage gap between men and women, and the “Leftover
women” idea that a woman over 30 will never find a husband is
still pervasive. That being said, I think that China is doing
better than India by leaps and bounds when it comes to gender rights, and has improved infinitely from a hundred years ago in China when foot-binding was still popular. (If the bones in a woman's foot are broken, she literally can't leave the house...) One interesting thought that someone mentioned to me is that with the introduction of the One
Child Policy, women's rights had to improve, because the sole female child
of the family ought to be able to make a living to support her parents.
I've been trying to make the most of my
time before I leave in just eight short days... :(

No comments:
Post a Comment