Whew, so much has happened in the last few days! After so much travelling already, I wasn’t
sure if I was ready for Japan. I was
feeling, much as I did before I left for China, totally unsure of what to
expect. And even after getting to
Tokyo, it took me a few days to get acquainted to the many differences in
living. The living style here is
extremely communal – a bunch of girls all sleep on quite comfortable cushions
on the floor. It feels very home-ey,
with everyone eating, sleeping, and living together. (The quarters are also extremely clean, and
the #1 rule is to leave your shoes at the door – no shoes worn indoors ever,
even at restaurants, except for designated slippers.) Even in restaurants. The super busy yet fun days and communal living
takes me back to my summer camp days.
Even with my culture shock, I started having fun right away
after getting in at Tokyo headquarters.
For one thing, there are so many of us – 150 of us teachers (my role is
a seminar leader, or SL, and there are also Japanese college students alongside
us, house leaders or HLs.) I knew
quite a few of the other Harvard HLs coming in at least as acquaintances, and
something about being halfway across the world from Cambridge has led to some
awesome “real talk” conversations with my Harvard friends. Not to mention my numerous new Japanese
friends. One of the great thing about
this program is that since I’m collaborating with a Japanese college student on
my seminar, we’re “forced” to socialize with each other and thus there’s no
segregation between the “Japanese” students and “American” students. Everyone gets along great, and I use quotes
because many of the “Japanese” students are going to college in the US or UK, and
some of the “American” students are Japanese-American, so the distinction is
artificial.
This morning, we took a bus from Tokyo to Obuse. Because it’s a summer holiday where one is
supposed to visit one’s ancestors, everyone is returning to their hometowns at
this time of year. So it took us around
six hours to get here. I am in love
with this town. Not only is the food
and living a little bit better than our accommodations in Tokyo, but this town
is absolutely beautiful. We walked
around and saw Chestnut trees with mountains in the background, and got
Chestnut ice cream, a local specialty. The
food is so good because much of it is grown and produced right here in Obuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment