I just took my picture with a Tibetan
lama! A few of us went to explore the Tibetan district of Chengdu. After wandering around for almost an hour trying to find a restaurant
recommended to us, we finally found it on a random side street. The
food was delicious and a nice contrast to the tofu and green veggies which are starting to get a bit repetitive. We had Tibetan food
consisting of momos, potatoes, breaded vegetables, and lots and lots
of warm milk tea. We accidentally ordered two jugs of milk tea, and
were laughing about what everyone must think about us glutenous
Americans. (I may or may not be on a sugar high right now.)
So back to the lama. We were sitting
down at this restaurant and we realized that the man at the table
over from us was accompanied by two other spiritual leaders, was
sitting at the head of table, and was being treated very formally by
all in his company. My friend recognized him as a lama and he kept
smiling at us: he is one of those people who just makes you happy by
looking at them and sensing their happiness. (He was a really
adorable lama.) At the end of our meal, someone came up and said
that he wanted a picture with us.
We're basically the most popular people
around to take pictures with. I've decided to start a
new Tumblr: pictures of people discreetly or not-so-discreetly taking pictures of me.
This past weekend, we visited the
world's largest Buddha at Leshan. The ear of the Buddha is seven
meters tall! Here's the view from the top of the mountain.
After getting a look at the Buddha from the top, there was a two hour long line to walk down to the base of the Buddha. I experienced first-hand that many Chinese people do not
respect lines. The entire way people were trying to cut in front of
me, and didn't show any shame about it. One woman waited until I moved a
tiny bit aside (after elbowing me for a very long time) and then
quickly cut through all of us. I found it pretty ironic that people
were being so pushy, given that we were in line to see a Buddhist monument. (Be nice to all sentient beings?) We also
saw this lovely sign about what not to do in line. I hope that I didn't "parabolic," because I have no idea what that means.
We also “climbed” Emei mountain,
except that by climb I actually mean take busses and ski lifts most
of the way up. At the top was a beautiful statue/temple pictured below. It wasn't at all like trekking an American mountain.
For one thing, there were so many other people, restaurants, high
quality hotels, and food/jewelry stands along the way that it wasn't exactly
natural or peaceful. (Though I'm not complaining about the good food and hotel.) It was certainly a fascinating look into
Chinese tourism; it's so, well, touristy!
More later! I have to go learn the characters for twenty new Chinese words.
Where is the picture with the lama? :) Sushma Auntie
ReplyDeleteOoooh, I think I can explain the Chinglish sign. The Chinese literally says (character-by-character): "please don't towards down throw things", i.e., "don't throw things down from here". The Chinese term for parabola is literally "throwing things line" because that's the trajectory of a thrown projectile. The machine translator must have picked up on "throw things" and translated that as something to do with parabolas, hence "not to parabolic".
ReplyDeleteOh whoa thanks for explaining! "Parabolic" should totally be an English word it makes sense :P
ReplyDelete